Keidmil! My name is David J. Peterson, and I'm the language creator from HBO's Game of Thrones, Netflix's The Witcher, Freeform's Motherland: Fort Salem, the CW's The 100, Legendary's Dune, and others. AMA!
Hello again Reddit! I'm /u/dedalvs, and I've got several things going right now:
- The season premiere of the final season of The 100 airs tonight on the CW at 8/7C. I created the Trigedasleng language spoken by the Grounders on The 100.
- The season finale of the first season of Motherland: Fort Salem airs tonight on Freeform at 9/8C. I co-created the Méníshè language spoken by the witches with language creator and linguistics professor Jessie Sams (/u/quothalinguist). The show was just picked up for a second season.
- Jessie and I started a YouTube series called LangTime Studio in which we create a language live on the stream step-by-step in two hour chunks. The thirteenth episode airs tomorrow at 2 p.m. PDT.
- I've got a book coming out on June 30th entitled Create Your Own Secret Language: Invent Codes, Ciphers, Hidden Messages, and More—A Beginner's Guide from Odd Dot.
- I've created a Wiktionary-inspired dictionary for all of my languages which has enough critical mass to release. You can find it here: http://wiki.languageinvention.com/
- I've also uploaded almost everything I did while working on Game of Thrones for ten years to my work space. You can find it here: http://dedalvs.com/work/game-of-thrones/
- I've put up almost all the dialogue I've done on the shows I've worked on in a more digestible format on AO3: https://archiveofourown.org/users/Dedalvs/
- More than that, I've also recently lost my four years of premium due to switching from the Alien Blue app, and I am already tired of the ads. This is a desperate ploy to get some gold so I can be rid of the ads for a little while longer. How do you live without it?!?
Other than those projects already mentioned, I've worked as a language creator on Syfy's Defiance, the CW's Star-Crossed, Syfy's Dominion, Marvel's Thor: The Dark World, Legendary's Warcraft, Showtime's Penny Dreadful, MTV's/Spike's The Shannara Chronicles, Marvel's Doctor Strange, NBC's Emerald City, AMC's Into the Badlands, Netflix's Bright, Netflix's Another Life, Netflix's The Christmas Chronicles, Netflix's The Witcher, Legendary's Dune, Netflix's Shadow and Bone (the latter with Christian Thalmann), and a video game called Arena of Valor from Tencent. I'm presently working on the second season of The Witcher, perhaps the tail end of Shadow and Bone, and six projects I can't yet disclose.
Feel free to AMA, but I won't be able to answer anything that's NDA or spoilery. I'll come back to answer questions about 1.5 hours from now (around 1:45 p.m. Pacific Daylight Time).
UPDATE: Okay, I have to go outside and run around with my daughter! Thank you for all the questions! If there are more, I'll answer them later tonight, so feel free to keep asking stuff. Stay grammar! <3 6:07 p.m. PDT