I started a Business from a Reddit post when I was on the brink on homelessness, and it’s turned into a thriving business! Ask me anything :)
The trajectory of my life changed the day I lost my job in May 2019.
I was a poor grad student just trying to pay rent, and when I lost my job I quickly ran through my savings. Within two months I had eviction notices being pinned to my door, threatening calls and letters about late bill payments, and my electricity was 24hrs away from being shut off. I wasn’t able to find full-time work and I got desperate enough that I was answering surveys online for ten cents each, doing people’s homework on “tutoring” websites, and selling off anything I could carry out of my apartment when I randomly discovered r/slavelabour. I posted an offer to review Redditors’ dating profiles for $5 an hour. Within a few minutes my inbox had exploded with responses. 24hrs later, I had made enough to pay my light bill. A week after that, my rent. 2.5 years later, It’s still the highest upvoted seller post in slavelabours history.
Now, Dating Advice by Chloe is a thriving business and I’ve never felt happier or more fulfilled. I earned my masters degree in clinical social work, but I decided I preferred Advice by Chloe over practicing traditional therapy. The advice I provide is based on human behaviour, marketing, knowledge of dating app algorithms, and data collected from academic research. Where there are gaps in what’s currently published in the field of dating psychology, I’ve started running some experiments of my own.
This has been the craziest and most amazing experience of my life. Within a few months I went from being on the brink of homelessness to running a successful business, and today my life is completely unrecognizable from what it was before.
I did an IAmA about 7 months ago, but I wasn’t able to answer all the questions due to time constraints. It’s a new year, Valentine's day is in a month, and we’re all (yet again) trapped inside because of Covid- so it feels like the perfect time to talk about online dating… or we can just chill while I grind in OSRS. Ask me Anything ;)
What’s changed in the past 7 months?
- NPR is doing a documentary on Advice by Chloe, including interviews with myself, several clients, and following a client over the course of months as he gets back into the dating world for the first time in years (coming soon)
- I was invited by a major radio station to co-host in a podcast about dating
- I was listed among one of the most inspiring women of the year in The NYC Journal
- I was rated as one of the top 5 dating consultants to look out for in 2022
- I did a few interviews and radio shows
- I created a Discord server as a way to connect with my clients. We have game nights, book clubs, and a place for people to talk about their frustrations and success with online dating.
- My website did some growing and I added new services based on demand
- I bought a car. Her name is Coco Cruze and I love her.
- I got a house. We’re just getting to know each other, I don’t know their name yet.
- Starting next Sunday, I’m starting a series on my brand-spanking-new Twitch channel called Chaos by Chloe - where I’ll answer dating advice questions while playing video games every Sunday at 8pm ET.
- I’m now base level 86 in OSRS
- It is very cold
My website: https://www.advicebychloe.com/