We are bipolar disorder experts & scientists! In honour of World Bipolar Day, ask us anything!
Hello Reddit! We are people living with bipolar disorder, psychiatrists and psychologists, and researchers representing the CREST.BD network.
March 30th is World Bipolar Day - and this is our third time hosting our World Bipolar Day AMA. Last year’s was the biggest bipolar Q&A ever held! So this year, we’ve put together an even larger AMA team of 28 people from around the world with expertise in different areas of mental health and bipolar disorder to answer as many questions as you can throw at us!
Here are our 28 panelists (click on their name for proof photo and full bio):
- Alessandra Torresani, Actress & Mental Health Advocate (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Andrea Paquette, Co-Founder & President, Stigma-Free Society (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Ben Goldstein, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
- Dr. Catriona Hippman, Genetic Counselor
- Dr. Chris Gorman, Psychiatrist
- Dr. David Miklowitz, Researcher
- Don Kattler, Mental Health Advocate (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Emma Morton, Researcher
- Dr. Eric Youngstrom, Child and Adolescent Psychologist
- Dr. Erin Michalak, Researcher & CREST.BD founder
- Dr. Georgina Hosang, Research Psychologist
- Prof. Greg Murray, Psychologist
- Dr. Ivan Torres, Clinical Neuropsychologist
- Dr. Jill Murphy, Researcher
- Dr. Josh Woolley, Researcher
- Kaj Korvela, Mental Health Advocate (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Lakshmi Yatham, Researcher
- Dr. Lisa O’Donnell, Social Worker & Researcher
- Natasha Reaney, Peer Support Worker (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Patrick Boruett, Mental Health Advocate (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Ravichandran Nigila, Psychiatrist
- Rosemary Xinhe Hu, Poet & Educator (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Sagar Parikh, Psychiatrist
- Dr. Serge Beaulieu, Psychiatrist
- Dr. Steven Barnes, Instructor & Artist (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Thomas Richardson, Clinical Psychologist (Lives w/ bipolar)
- Dr. Trisha Chakrabarty, Psychiatrist
- Victoria Maxwell, Mental Health Educator & Performing Artist (Lives w/ bipolar)
Bipolar disorder is typified by the experience of depression and mania (or hypomania). These mood states, which can last from a few days to several months, bring changes in activity, energy levels, and ways of thinking. Bipolar disorder can cause health problems, and affect relationships, work, and school. But with optimal treatment, care and empowerment, people with bipolar disorder can and do flourish.
CREST.BD approaches research from a unique perspective. Everything we do–from deciding what to study, conducting research, and publishing our results–we do hand-in-hand with people with bipolar disorder. We also produce digital health tools to share science-based treatments and strategies for keeping mentally well.
We host our regular Q&A livestreams with bipolar disorder experts all year round at www.TalkBD.live - we hope to stay in touch with you there. You can also find our updates, social media and events at linktr.ee/crestbd!
EDIT: Thank you for all your questions! This AMA is still live! Please continue posting your questions - our whole team of panelists will try our very best to cover as much as we can :)