I made a free alternative to Photoshop, that is used 10 million times a month. Ask me Anything!
Hi, my name is Ivan Kutskir, I am 31 y.o. programmer from the Czech Republic. I made Photopea, an advanced photo editor which works in a web browser. During 2021, it was used 120 million times, people spent 20 million hours using it, and opened 500 million files in it.
I started to work on Photopea in 2012 as a hobby, until 2016, when I graduated and started to work on it full-time. I started monetizing it with ads in 2017, I never had any other job in my life :)
I did an AMA here a year and a half ago, and I wanted to share what happened since then :)
- the number of users (and my income) grew by about 40%
- Lots of new features: Content-Aware Fill/Move/Scale, support for artboards, you can open files from Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Fireworks, Affinity Photo, denoise, improved painting, color profiles (ICC) and more.
- Photopea works offline now. Open it just once, then, it is cached on your computer (2 MB) and is openable in a browser without internet (Photopea is only JS, no server).
- I reached 4,100 solved issues on Github!
- I still did not sell any part of Photopea, so I am the only owner.
Ask me Anything! :)