I've been a responder, victim, and bad guy in simulated terrorist attacks. AMA.
Edit 15:50 Pacific / 23:50 UTC: Comments seem to be tapering off, so I think I'm going to go get some work done. Thanks for a fun 6 hours! As a shameless self-plug, if you're interested in online privacy, consider checking out the Indiegogo campaign I'm running for an end-to-end-encrypted email service. Have a good one!
Hi Reddit, my name is Nick Badger. I was an EMT for a few years in college, both through my university and through a private ambulance company. I was the quality assurance director for the campus EMS group for a year or two as well, so I can speak reasonably lucidly about the kinds of medical things that tend to go wrong at university. I was also certified as a firefighter, but got my certs at the same time I was starting grad school, so I never had a chance to work as one. Along the way, I did, however, get the opportunity to play a victim, a responder, and the active shooter / bomber at several different "mass casualty incident" (MCI) simulations. These aren't strictly terrorist attacks (that's a philosophical/legal classification we never ascribed them), but that seemed like a more concise description.
Since then I've...
- Abandoned my master's thesis in mechanical engineering just before finishing my degree
- Hopped on my motorcycle and took a roundabout way from Cleveland to California
- Worked as a MechE for two years for a small company making climatology research equipment
- Quit that gig and am now working on a no-bullshit private/encrypted email service called Ethyr.
AMA -- needn't be about EMS / MCI / etc.
Pics or it didn't happen:
- Me today (sorry about the quality)
- Me being a triage officer at a collegiate+regional drill in 2009
- Me responding at a larger drill in 2010
- Me being moulaged at a different drill earlier in 2010
- Me in place at same
- Me applying moulage to someone else at same
- The scene in the large room when I was the baddie in 2013
- Me rather comfortably being cleared by SWAT after "killing myself" at same
- A gifv of SWAT arriving to clear a victim when I was the perp