My name is Meigo Märk and I walked 20,000 kilometers or 12,427 miles in 22 countries 👣🌍 It took me total 4 years and 3 months ☀️ Please ask me anything! 🙏🏻
Greetings! My name is Meigo Märk and I wish to share with you a story, photos and videos of how I was walking 20,000 kilometers or 12,427 miles in 22 countries which took me total 4 years and 3 months.
Please ask me anything! proof
On May 11, 2014 I started a very long walk from Estonia in Northern Europe. 4 years and 3 months later I completed walking total 20,000 kilometers or 12,427 miles in 22 countries and had arrived to Sumatra Island in Indonesia.
To cross some rivers, seas and an ocean I also used some ferries, ships and planes.But 20,000 kilometers or 12,427 miles is the distance that I covered 100% by only walking!
The 22 countries where I walked were ▶ Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Iran, India, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand, Cambodia , Laos, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia.
PLEASE LOOK THE DETAIL ROUTE ON THE MAP 🌍
The longest distance I walked in India - over 3,600 kilometers or 2,236 miles which took me 7 months.
SOME FACTS AND MEMORABLE EXPERIENCES
- I slept and lived shortly in over 220 local homes together with local families. Home is the most private place – a holy place. To be inside a local home together with a local family is surely one of the most special, interesting and enriching experience that can happen to any traveler.
- The longest time that I stayed in one home was over 3 months. I became very close with one family in the mountains of Nepal and helped them to build a new house after the big Nepali earthquake.
- I slept alone in a tent for over 650 nights.
- I used total 24 pairs of different shoes.
- When I started this long walk the total amount of money that I had in my pocket and in my bank was 8 euros. I even collected, washed and ate some edible leaves from the roadside. Later I rented out and sold my house which made the journey a bit easier. I also started to earn some money by writing travel articles, selling my travel photos and with YouTube videos
- All my travel expenses for 1 full year were average 3,000 – 3,600 euros which is 3,245 – 3,785 US dollars $.
- Over 2,200 kind people stopped me on the road and asked me many questions. They gave me a lot of free drinks and food, invited me to their homes, gave me many gifts and even money!
- In 1 day I normally walked 25 - 35 kilometers. My daily record was 64 kilometers or 39 miles. I was going very slowly and I did not want to break any records.
- The weight of my bag varied a lot from from total 8 kg to 23 kilograms.
- For many weeks I was walking and camping in the snowy mountains of Turkey with even -17 degrees celsius or / 1.4 °Fahrenheit.
- And for many weeks I passed some desert areas in Iran and in India where the temperature rose every day to +40 to + 42 degrees celcius or 107.6 °Fahrenheit.
- For many months I walked in the monsoon rains of Asia. In Cambodia I once walked quite a long distance on a very remote road with the water over my knees.
- Once I crossed alone a hilly jungle in Laos where on day 3 I finished all my food and I started to eat fresh bamboo leaves.
- 2 times I was bitten by dogs (India and Thailand) and once needed to go to a hospital because of that.
- Over 1 week my walking was escorted by heavily armed police forces of Northeast India and in Myanmar.
- In different countries I was invited to visit over 45 schools and universities to share my travel experiences and photos with ten of thousands of students.
- For 1 month I lived a zen monastery in the mountains of Vietnam.
- My dear mother came to meet me and to travel together with we in Greece, Turkey, Nepal and in Vietnam. In Vietnam we had an epic trip together where we bought one bicycle, my mother was riding the bicycle with our bags and I was running (not walking) near her for over 220 kilometers in 2 weeks.
- Together with my older sister Kadi we went to conquer the highest mountain in Greece - Mount Olympos
- I was learning taekwondo with a 5th Den Black Belt Master while living the master's home.
- Many people joined my walk in different countries. The biggest group I had in Vietnam where 13 people joined the long walk for 5 days. Amazing group walk!
- I found new homes to 3 dogs and 4 cats that I found abandoned in very remote roadsides. The longest time one dog walked with me was exactly 10 days.
- And I gave over 140 international media interviews. My biggest interview was a long TV interview for 'Talk Vietnam'.
- After I had walked 13,000 kilometers I had arrived to Vietnam where I met a girl named Sâm. She was a marathon runner and wished to join my walk for few days. In the next exactly 1 year Sâm came to meet me and to walk together with me exactly 10 times – 2 times by bus and 8 times by airplane in 5 different countries! Together we walked over 750 kilometers. In October 2018 we got married and last year in March we became parents of a baby girl! We are dreaming and making plans to continue traveling around the world all 3 of us. Waiting for the global pandemic to end! I would continue walking and my wife and daughter would move on the same route with a small camping car.
My dream is to walk in different countries at least +20,000 kilometers more to complete walking the total distance of planet Earth’s Equator which is 40,075 kilometers or 24,901 miles.
Thank you very very much for your attention!
I wish good to you!
Please be safe, healthy and happy!!!