IamA social skills expert who overcame the social struggles of Asperger's! My newest book "Level Up Your Social Life" is free on Kindle today, so AMA!
Hi everyone! My name is Daniel Wendler, and I'm the author of ImproveYourSocialSkills.com, a comprehensive online guide to social skills. My newest book "Level Up Your Social Life: The Gamer's Guide To Social Success" is free on Kindle today, so I thought I would do an AMA to celebrate!
A few things you might be interested to know about me:
- This is my second time on /r/IAMA. My first AMA got a great response, so I decided to come back and hang out with your wonderful people!
- I wrote my social skills guides out of my own experiences of overcoming social challenges. Growing up, I was the most awkward kid you could ever hope to meet. My social skills were limited to 1) Talking about Star Wars 2) Talking about video games 3) Talking about Star Wars video games. As a result, I was bullied, rejected -- all the stuff you'd expect. But things turned around in high school when I received a diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome. I learned that my social struggles were because of my lack of social skills, so I started working really hard to build my social skills. Over time, I got a lot better at social skills, and I started writing my social skills guides to share what I've learned with other people.
- Level Up Your Social Life is actually my second social skills guide. My first guide is called Improve Your Social Skills and you can read it on Amazon too.
- If you're curious to learn more about my story of Asperger's, you can check out the TEDx talk I did on "My life with Asperger's"
- I'm the moderator of /r/socialskills, which is an awesome community that you should join.
- Cat tax.
Thanks for reading! I'll be available for the next few hours, so feel free to ask me anything about social skills, Asperger's, writing a book, Star Wars video games, or my favorite gifs
EDIT: The AMA is officially over and my book is no longer free, but I'll be on Reddit periodically throughout the day. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them!