UPDATE: I got my anonymous cyberstalker of 1.5 years arrested for harassing me and threatening to shoot up the college where I teach. AMA!
Hi everyone! As promised, I am back with an update.
Since I last posted about this, I have not received any contact at all from the stalker (yay!). The court date kept getting deferred all year which is totally normal and expected with cases like this. But the stalker finally had her official Supreme Court hearing recently. Her case mostly kept getting rescheduled because she was a "very difficult case to work with" (according to the ADA). The reason why she was difficult had to do with several background factors about her that were described to me by the ADA.
Based on my experience with all of the crazy messages she sent me over 1.5 years, I told the ADA to advocate for her getting court-mandated psych evaluations. So she was evaluated upon release after her arrest. She has since been meeting with a therapist twice a week for an hour. The ADA then met with my stalker, her therapist, and her mother. At this meeting, he learned the following about my stalker:
- She is severely hearing impaired (only can hear the tiniest bit out of one ear)
- She opted out of learning sign language at a young age
- She opted not to be in special ed in high school or register with the disabilities office at college for extra help
- She can read lips, but otherwise she cannot hear anything
- She lives with her mother and, both literally and figuratively, "clings" to her for everything
- She depends on her mother for a lot of her communication
- She has "some serious underlying mental health issues" according to the ADA's experience and the words of the therapist
- She was also described as "socially inept" and "all in her head" by the ADA
- She was able to confirm "knowing who I was," acknowledged why she was arrested, and has expressed recognition that what she did "was very serious and very wrong" despite her communication issues (this was all validated by the therapist who has been working closely with her)
She ended up going through the mental health court instead of regular court. She made a "Conditional Plea," which means she plead guilty to the felony charge and to one of the misdemeanor charges, but the felony charge will be dropped on one condition: She has to go to outpatient therapy 5 days a week over the next year to address her communication issues, social issues, and underlying mental health issues. If she goes to every session and reports back to the judge on a regular basis, not missing any of her meetings, then she will only end up with the one misdemeanor charge on her record.
My order of protection was renewed for another year and will probably be renewed again in a year after she completes her program.
All in all, I am really happy with the result. Despite the hell I went through with this, I have a lot of empathy for her. Even before I had confirmation of all of her personal challenges, I never wanted her to go to prison in the first place and I do not believe in jail time as a correctional method. I feel like this is the best kind of r/JusticePorn because she's going to get the help she needs, society will (hopefully) gain a functioning member by the end of it all, AND I am personally not being harassed and threatened by her anymore.
TL;DR A former student who was stalking, harassing, and threatening me and members of my college community was arrested and she no longer contacts me or anyone I know. She will be going to therapy regularly over the next year as a "conditional plea" in which she will end up with just a misdemeanor on her record (instead of a felony charge). And my confidence is restored in our country's court system.
AMA - I'm around for the next 4 hours and am happy to elaborate on things without giving any identities away.
EDIT Thanks for the great questions everyone. I'm going to have to call it quits now. If you have any more questions/comments, I do check this throwaway account sometimes just to answer people who come to the post late. So feel free to write me at any point and I'll try to help you out/respond.
Take care of yourselves - and each other!