We are the Firefox User Experience team, this is your chance to tell us about your pet peeves!
Update: OK guys, it's been fun! We'll answer questions intermittently, but we've been doing this for 10 hours now, and need some food. You're all great, thanks for all the questions! :)
Almost three years ago, we hosted a session here on Reddit where you got to tell us everything that annoyed you about Firefox 3.6. This led to an effort at Mozilla called “Paper cuts”, see blog post and slides. We got over 2000 comments back then, and we'd like to hear from you again!
What we're after is the “paper cuts”, the stuff that gets in the way or annoys you about Firefox on a daily basis, and that we could help get prioritized.
Ground rules: (of course, you can ask us anything, but this will save some time)
- One idea/papercut per comment, please — that way they can be voted up individually.
- No trolling in bug reports linked from this thread, please — if there’s already a bug in Bugzilla for it, we take it seriously, no need to post “why hasn't this been fixed yet‽”
- We love all the other browsers on the market (yes, really!), and several of our close friends work on competing products. Competition makes everyone better, and the web is better off for it. No “browser X sucks, browser Y is the best” comments necessary.
- Make sure you have tried a recent version of Firefox (preferrably with a reset profile) before commenting. Firefox has come leaps and bounds lately, and has best-in-class memory usage, massively improved startup time, etc. So make sure you're commenting on the product we're actually shipping, instead of the Firefox you used a year ago. :)
- We will not answer any questions about Rampart.
People from Mozilla participating in this thread:
- limi — Alex Limi, Product Design Strategy — @limi
- bwinton — Blake Winton, Firefox UX Engineer — @bwinton
- dolske — Justin Dolske, Firefox developer, bacon enthusiast, and snuggler of kittens — @dolske
- madhava — Madhava Enros, User Experience Lead — @madhava
- shorlander — Stephen Horlander, Visual Design — @shorlander
- weinjared — Jared Wein, Software Engineer — @weinjared
- yuanwang — Yuan Wang, Designer — @yuanwang1
- wselman — Bill Selman, UX Research — @wselman
- Boriss_Firefox_UX — Jennifer Boriss, Designer — @boriss
- fryn — Frank Yan, UX Engineer — @frankyan
- gregglind — Gregg Lind, UX Quant — @gregglind
- zhenshuo — Zhenshuo Fang, User Experience Designer — @zhenshuofang
- brampitoyo — Bram Pitoyo, UX Designer — @brampitoyo
- good_grief — Mike Conley, Firefox Engineer — @mike_conley
- darklight001 — Tyler Downer, User Advocate — @tylerdowner
The Mozilla UX blog is here: https://blog.mozilla.org/ux/
TL;DR — some questions that are asked repeatedly:
- Problems? Slow startup, slow shutdown, lots of memory used? Reset Firefox fixes most issues.
- If that doesn't fix your problem, talk to our awesome support team.
- Private browsing without shutting down the current set of tabs is coming in Firefox 20 (get the beta if you want it right now!)
- Flash issues are hard (focus stealing keypresses, volume control), due to the way Flash works. We're still trying to find ways to fix this. We hear you!
- We are currently working on Australis (the visual redesign), here's a screenshot of the UX build this morning: http://i.imgur.com/VdQ99bc.png
Remember, Firefox is your project — it's the only mainstream browser not owned by a massive corporation — so help us make it better!