I am Ryan North, OG webcartoonist and author, including the upcoming HOW TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD. AMA!
PROOF: https://i.redd.it/ikl1dcxpr0m81.jpg two hairy boys, i'm the one with the fabulous pandemic hair
Hi everyone, it's me Ryan! You may know me from:
- Dinosaur Comics (the comic where the pictures don't change, it'll have its 20 year anniversary next year which is wild)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (I wrote the full 5-year run on the Marvel Comics character, she is: the best)
- turning Shakespeare into choose-your-own-path gamebooks (To Be or Not To Be and Romeo and/or Juliet)
- doing a page-by-page review of the bonkers novelization of Back to the Future
- getting stuck in a hole with my dog that one time until Twitter got me and my dog Chompsky out lol
- adapting Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five into a graphic novel
- How To Invent Everything, a nonfiction guide to rebuilding civilization from scratch in case you ever get stranded in the distant past
- or perhaps... SOMETHING ELSE??
The spiritual successor to How To Invent Everything comes out next week - it's called How To Take Over The World and I'm very excited for it. Just as How To Invent Everything used the (allegedly fictional) premise of "you've gone back in time and your time machine broke and you can't go back to the future, so here's how you bring the future back to you" to motivate all the cool nonfiction about science and invention in the book, How To Take Over The World uses the premise of "how hard would it be to pull of comic book heists in the real world anyway" to cover a lot of fascinating nonfiction about the bleeding edge of science and technology. Turns out when you take "I want a floating secret base" or "I want to dig to the Earth's core to hold it hostage" or "I want to live forever and never be forgotten" seriously, you can learn about some really cool things? WHO KNEW.
Oh also if you preorder the book today you can get a free comic by me and my Squirrel Girl artist friend Derek Charm, so I wanna put the link to that in here too.
Anyway all that context is just prelude to me saying AMA! I love doing these and want to hang out and answer questions from internet strangers for a while!! Let's talk writing and comics and friendships and supporting yourself online and embarrassing personal secrets and anything else!
UPDATE: There are so many questions but I WILL ANSWER THEM ALL
UPDATE, 2pm: I am still working through the questions, keep 'em coming!!
UPDATE, FOUR AND A HALF HOUR LATER: Whew! I think I got everyone, and these were some amazing questions! I'm gonna go rest my wrists but I'll pop back later to answer anyone who didn't get here in time. Thank you all!!