We are a bunch of Nuclear Scientists and Engineers in New Mexico - Ask Us Anything!
Nuclear Science Week is October 15th-18th, and we'd like to kick off the week by answering questions about all-things-nuclear! We are a team of nuclear scientists and engineers mostly based in New Mexico, and we're happy to answer any of your questions. We'll be answering questions all day long (with some meetings, airplane flights, and dentist appointments sprinkled in between), so ask away! Who we are:
- Dr. Rian Bahran (Los Alamos National Laboratory) - Technical expert in nuclear security applications (deterrence, nonproliferation, countering weapons of mass destruction, criticality safety, policy).
- Dr. Matthew Denman (Kairos Power) - Expert in reactor design, reactor safety, probabilistic risk assessment, molten salt reactors, and sodium-cooled fast reactors.
- Mr. Eric Meyer (Generation Atomic) - Founder and Director of Generation Atomic, a nuclear energy advocacy non-profit. Responding as u/ericgmeyer
- Dr. Chris Perfetti (University of New Mexico) - Expert in reactor physics, criticality safety, simulating interactions between radiation and matter, and uncertainty quantification in nuclear applications. Responding as u/IGottaWearShades
- Dr. Nicholas Thompson (Los Alamos National Laboratory) - Expert in nuclear data measurement and nuclear criticality experiments, also interested in nuclear energy policy and clean energy advocacy. Responding as u/nucl_thompson
- Mr. Jim Walther - Director of the National Museum of Nuclear Science and History.
- Mr. Carl Willis (University of New Mexico) - Expert in particle accelerator applications (isotope production, neutron sources, pulsed power devices). Also a fusion hobbyist (and admin of Fusor.net), and a "nuclear tourist" who has toured the Chernobyl reactor (7 times!) and the Fukushima reactor. Responding as u/CarlWillisNuclear
Ask Us Anything!
Edit: The AMA is still going strong - keep the questions coming!
Edit 2: Going to bed now, but I'll continue posting some responses tomorrow whenever I get a spare moment. And thank you for the Silver, kind stranger!