I'm Scott from Scott's Cheap Flights. My profession is finding cheap flights. Here to answer travel questions and help you find flights for the next 8 hours. AMA
I may have the world’s best job: I help people find cheap flights.
(If you're interested you can check out Scott's Cheap Flights here, but no pressure at all.)
Because new year = travel resolutions, I wanted to pop in and answer any/all questions folks had about finding cheap flights or travel in general. Here for next 8ish hours!
I owe so much of Scott’s Cheap Flights’ success to Reddit (it’s grown up here over the years) and there’s no greater pleasure in my day than seeing Redditors go places they hadn’t thought they could afford. (Some recent heartwarming examples of Redditors getting super cheap flights, congrats u/hufflebecks u/PMMeGoodAdvice u/nerdy-two-shoes u/Tooch10 u/ucffool u/PennyPriddy u/alohomoramylove u/tweaq u/iwishiwasbored u/swilson215)
A few brief predictions for 2019:
- Cheaper oil = cheaper fares. Airline CEOs spent much of the first half of 2018 predicting (wishing?) that airfare will get more expensive, pointing to the rising price of oil. But with the price of oil down 40% in last 3 months of 2018, one of the main drivers of expensive flights is off the table.
- Worldwide economic slowdown is bad in general but probably good for airfare. Many economists are predicting slower economic growth in 2019 and 2020. When times are tight, discretionary spending like vacations are one of the first items on a family's budget chopping block. Lower demand for plane seats will force the airlines to cut fares in an attempt to woo those travelers back.
- Hawaii flights are going to get even cheaper. Southwest is set to imminently begin flying from the mainland US to Hawaii (and between Hawaiian islands). Other airlines like Alaska, United, and American have already been dropping their fares in anticipation, but I expect that trend to continue even more in 2019. Plus with free checked bags and free changes/cancellations, many flyers will find Southwest's Hawaii flights especially valuable.
- Mistake fares will continue. Mistake fares are when an airline or online travel agency like Expedia or Orbitz accidentally offers fares that are significantly lower than normal. For instance, the $130 nonstop roundtrip flight from NYC to Milan that jumpstarted my career in cheap flights. Though not common, they show no signs of abating and should give flyers more opportunities at rare deals in 2019.
Proof I’m me: https://imgur.com/a/ArdEc4k
Proof I’m a cheap flight expert: Recent media coverage from AFAR Magazine, the Washington Post, Conde Nast Traveler, Refinery29, Forbes, McSweeney’s (in a way) and Popular Mechanics (don’t judge cheap flights are big in the tool community)
We send out deals departing every country; here’s some of the best flights we found in 2018:
- SFO / LAX to Asia in *business class* for ~$600 roundtrip (normally $3,000+)
- NYC to Paris / Barcelona / Madrid for $292 nonstop roundtrip (normally $850+)
- Chicago / Dallas / Philly to the US Virgin Islands for $78 roundtrip (normally $550+)
- Portland to Tokyo for $377 roundtrip (normally $1,000+)
- London to the Cook Islands for £428 return (normally £1,400)
- Switzerland to Shanghai for €165 return (normally €550)
- Australia to SE Asia and Hawaii under $300 AUD return (normally $700+)
- Toronto to the Azores for $473 CAD nonstop roundtrip (normally $1,100)
P.S. It’s usually not polite to brag but if you’ve gotten a howling deal from Scott's Cheap Flights lately I want to hear where you’re going! When I’m not on the road traveling vicariously through you all is the tops.
UPDATE (1ish pm PST): Technically it's been 8 hours but really what is time but a social construct. Eff it let's go another few hours what do y'all say? Doing my best to get to as many of your comments as I possibly can. You all are the flippin best
UPDATE 2 (4:30pm PST): I just took a coffee bath and I've got a few more hours to spend with my Reddit family let's keep this going why not
UPDATE 3 (8pm PST): I wish I could quit you!! I've got 90 minutes left until I can go no more please for the love of god I've got a family
UPDATE 4 (10pm PST): Taking a little sleep break. I've had an absolute blast chatting cheap flights these past 17 hours. Will do my best to answer more questions when I wake up :) Leave them in the comment section I'll try to get to as many as I can!
UPDATE 5 (6:30am PST): Tanned. Rested. Ready. Let's go at this for another few hours shall we
UPDATE 6 (10:30am PST): I am pooped. This has been a blast. Tried to get to as many questions as possible; I'll be doing Facebook Lives every couple of weeks to take more questions about cheap flights, travel, etc. Much love and may 2019 be another incredible year for cheap flights!!