IamA former creative director of Maxis / The Sims, and I made the financially questionable choice to leave and make an indie mobile game. AMA!
Three years ago I left Maxis to develop a game on my own (well, actually I tried to get funding and a small team, but that didn’t work out, so I flew solo). The game is Merge Dragons and it is now out. It has been a LONG, but satisfying journey. AMA.
- I have a “Master of Entertainment Technology” degree (seriously).
- Games I've worked on: http://www.raymazza.com/published-games.html
- 10 Years at Maxis as engineer, designer, lead designer, & creative director on Sims games.
- Spent the last 3 years developing Merge Dragons full time, then part time, then cramming it into nights & weekends while juggling a kid.
- I love side-projects, and have published a technothriller series: https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00PNJ3TH4/ref=dp_st_147512192X
UPDATE: I will be wrapping up around ~4:30pm PST.
UPDATE 2: I'm wrapping this up. Thank you for all the questions, and see you next time!
UPDATE 3: I will check back occasionally to try and answer late questions that appear. Cheers!