IamA Intersex person who has a plethora of rare illnesses, including one that occurs in only 1 in every 300 million people. AMA!
Hello there! I’m a 22 year old intersex person (but I do identify as female), who has had a lifetime of being diagnosed with various uncommon (well, some common) medical conditions. They are as follows:
- Central Precocious Puberty
- Growth Hormone Deficiency
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia 3 Beta HSD (this is the extremely rare one, and also what technically makes me intersex)
- Two very large thyroid tumors (which thankfully turned out to be benign) that resulted in the removal of my thyroid at age 15
- Anti-Ovarian Antibodies
- A Subarachnoid Cyst
- A Pituitary Tumor
- Severe Classical Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- Gallstones (I had my gallbladder removed when I was 17)
- An Unspecified Autoimmune Disorder (This has resulted in some fun illnesses, such as pneumonia about 20 times, pleurisy, and the West Nile Virus)
On top of these, I also got a couple of fun mental illnesses in the form of a Panic Disorder and Bipolar Type 2.
Feel free to ask me anything! I’m an open book.
(I had a hard time trying to figure out what would work as proof, so if this isn’t enough and there’s something specific you’d like instead, feel free to suggest it, and I'll do my best.)
EDIT: I just realized that I've been doing this for pretty much 14 hours straight, so unfortunately I must be off to bed. I will get to any questions that I missed as soon as I wake up tomorrow though! (whatever time of day that may be.)
In the mean time, if you're interested in learning more about certain things, here are a couple of great sites:
The Magic Foundation - an organization dedicated to helping families of children with endocrine growth disorders http://www.magicfoundation.org/www
The Interface Project - A great site filled with videos of people talking about their personal intersex experiences http://www.interfaceproject.org/