IAMA 97 year old that worked Apollo missions 1 through 14 and knew two presidents before they were president, AMA
Hi! This is my grandpa. Well, ok, that’s an old photo. Nowadays this is my grandpa and this is my grandpa. He’s led a pretty spectacular life. The title mentions a few cool things he’s been a part of. Others include:
- Being the acting head of Radio and TV relations during Apollos 8 and 11 (his title at the time was deputy chief but the chief was sick during both missions)
- The second time he saw his wife was on their wedding day
- He served in WWII and Korea (many many good stories)
- He was the youngest Eagle Scout in America back in his day
- He went to University of Virginia at age 16, dropped out at the age of 18, but graduated with his class at 20.
I will transcribe answers just as he says them.
Edit: 3 hours and he's tired. Thanks for all the interest everyone, I'll get him to answer more questions tomorrow.