I am a software engineer that created a free, open source password manager to keep you safe online. AMA!
Hey reddit. We all use the internet, so we need to be taking the proper steps to stay safe. Password re-use is a huge problem and with large data breaches becoming more and more common these days, we need to protect ourselves. Nearly 4 million data records (that we know of) are stolen online everyday and chances are you've been in one of them. Using a password manager is one of the easiest things you can do to stay safe.
I'm a software architect and have worked in the credit card payment processing industry for quite some time dealing with your sensitive credit card data. Security is something I think about and work with on a daily basis. Last year I decided that there was something missing from the internet: a simple, free, open source password manager that was available on all of your devices. Sure, there are many password management applications out there, but none of them seemed to fit the bill.
After one full year of development, bitwarden has been released for free on several platforms including iOS, Android, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and the web. You can read more about bitwarden on our website, https://bitwarden.com/.
I'll be here for the rest of the day to answer your questions about bitwarden, your password practices, online security, software development, open source, or whatever. AMA!
- Website: https://bitwarden.com/
- GitHub, source code: https://github.com/bitwarden
- Kickstarter campaign: http://kck.st/2gCsTUL
- Chrome Extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bitwarden-free-password-m/nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb
- Android App: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.x8bit.bitwarden
- iOS App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bitwarden-free-password-manager/id1137397744?mt=8