I'm Tessa Jolls from the Center for Media Literacy! It's Media Literacy Week, so AMA about being a savvy consumer/producer/participant in the media world!
Media Literacy Week is Nov. 2-6 in the U.S. and Canada. I am Tessa Jolls, president of the Center for Media Literacy in Los Angeles, and I am a long-time advocate for media education. Everyone needs the skills and the know-how to take media apart and put it together - and how to be responsible digital citizens.
The Core Concepts of Media Literacy are:
- All media messages are constructed.
- Media messages are constructed using a creative language with its own rules.
- Different people experience the same media message differently.
- Media have embedded values and points of view.
- Most media messages are organized to gain profit and/or power.
Hardly anyone gets media literacy training in schools, yet this understanding is central to being excellent managers of information, wise consumers, responsible producers and active participants in today's media culture. Media literacy is education for living and learning today.
Edit: Thanks for your questions and comments! I've enjoyed talking with you.