I write Now I Know, a free trivia/interesting facts email newsletter which goes to nearly 90,000 people a day. Yesterday, I announced that it's being made into a book. AMAA!
This is Now I Know. A bunch of redditors already subscribe total and I'm a long-time (seven years!) redditor myself. Yesterday, I announced the Now I Know book that I've been quietly working on for over a year and comes out October 18th. It hit #274 on Amazon yesterday (proof), which blows my mind.
What I write about is pretty eclectic -- basically, what's something new to me and fascinating. Here are five very recent ones, to give you a taste:
- To help fight chlamydia, Sweden once set up an on-demand condom delivery service and had an awareness day called Chlamydia Monday.
- Colgate-Palmolive once pulled a snack off the shelves, allegedly because it made people fart too much.
- Ever notice how, when you're on your cell phone and the call drops, you can almost immediately tell? That's because cell phone companies pump artificial noise into the receiver specifically to make it clear that the other side is still there.
- In the 1700s, people were killing children in order to get executed. Why? Because suicide would cause them to go to Hell, but they wanted to kill themselves.
- And a program in Brazil which gives prison inmates time off for riding a stationary bike hooked up to a car battery. This charges the car battery, and the power is used to power street lights. (If anyone here writes for Orange is the New Black, this should totally happen.)
And here's one which I think most of us on reddit suffer from... especially me.
All the archives are here and you can subscribe for free. They're kind of random, but hopefully interesting.
Keep the questions to Now I Know and I'll answer just about anything. I'll also answer questions about baseball, just because. And most other stuff as well.