I am about 6 months out from the procedure. Here is a before and after (before taken the day of surgery and the after taken during a 6 month checkup at the office)... http://imgur.com/4CHlC
Here is a timeline of my hair loss...
- 24: My hair had been long for about 2 years and my scalp started to feel weird and numb It got to the point where I finally cut it. After I cut it, it looked a tiny bit thinner than normal. Nobody in my family is bald so it never occurred to me that IT had started. To this day, I'm convinced, though I likely have genetic male pattern baldness, I massively accelerated it via traction alopecia.
- 25-30: Very, very slow progression of thinning. It was so slow, I didn't think I'd actually ever go bald.
- 31-33: Thinning is more noticeable. I'm starting to get pretty self conscious about it.
- 33-35: The comb-over years. About 90% of the hair on top of my head is now gone but I won't admit it.
- 35-37: The "sly guy" shaved years. I finally shaved everything off at age 35. I hated both mirrors and photographs. I tried really hard to just accept it but dammit I hated it. I looked like a damn 50 year old.
- 37: Horseshoe look and finalllllly hair. I had to grow my hair out in the couple of months leading to the surgery. I also had no hair post surgery for about 4 months. So I had to deal with the horseshoe look for about half a year. My hair finally started growing in at 4 months and has come in pretty nice over the last couple of months.
Edit: a picture I took about 30 minutes ago at work from my Macbook: http://imgur.com/7MaNh I'll post more when I get home if there's still interest.