We are members of Canada's space sector, with special guest former Astronaut Chris Hadfield, discussing our past and future in Space Technology and Exploration. Ask Us Anything!
Live from the Canadian Aerospace Summit we are members of Canada's Space Sector discussing Canada's role in space and helping secure our nation's future in space technology and exploration. This includes a coalition of over 50 sector companies and interest groups with some members answering your questions today. We would love to discuss everything space from robotics, Earth observation, satellite communications, medical, technology and exploration to life in general working in the space sector. Also special guest, retired astronaut Chris Hadfield, will join us.
Chris Hadfield is a veteran redditor who even once did an AMA from the International Space Station (ISS). As a retired astronaut, engineer, and former Royal Canadian Air Force fighter pilot, Chris was the first Canadian to walk in space, has flown three space missions (including one 5-month stint), and has served as commander of the ISS.
Also joining us today:
• Mike Pley - I have worked in the space industry for over 30 years and currently am Chair the Space Committee of the Aerospace Industries Association of Canada. I was the CEO of COM DEV, which supplied equipment to over 80% of all communications satellites and many national and international space missions. Space is in my blood!.
• Mike Greenley – I am Group President of MDA, maker of the Canadarm and anchor of Canada’s space sector. I’m pretty new to space exploration, but I have been kicking around advanced manufacturing for over 25 years, and have worked in a leadership role for some of Canada’s biggest security and defense companies.
• Dave McCabe – I’m Dave McCabe. I’m a Senior Customer Business Manager at Honeywell Aerospace (COM DEV) and over the past 30 years my journey has allowed me to touch on a diverse set of space sector activities: Black Brant sounding rockets, small satellite spacecraft and missions, optical and RF payloads, space shuttle and ISS experiments, astronaut robotics training, and of course parabolic aircraft flights! Ask me anything.
• Kate Howells - I’m a planetary science enthusiast working in space education and advocacy for The Planetary Society. I'm all about connecting the public to the adventure of space exploration. My claim to fame is that I work with Bill Nye, but then again he says his claim to fame is that he works with me! :)
• Holly Johnson - I’ve worked at MDA for 10 years -- started as a co-op student, then a systems engineer, and now working in the President’s office as a business manager. My first project? Working on the Canadarm! My latest? DLG. In the middle? Medical robotics for brain surgery.
• Lyndsey Poynter – I’m an MDA project engineer for mission operations on the Canadarm2 and Dextre robotics systems for the International Space Station, plus I train astronauts and ground flight controllers to operate them — love my job.
We are joined by The Don’t Let Go Canada Team ( http://www.dontletgocanada.ca ) who are working with sector companies to raise awareness about Canada’s Role in Space. If you want to help out please sign up and send a note to your Member of Parliament letting them know you are excited to see Canada’s leadership role in space continue.
Chris Hadfield Twitter - https://twitter.com/Cmdr_Hadfield/status/1062046886494904320
We are signing off for dinner, but many of us likely will end up coming back and answering your questions. Please take a moment to follow us on Facebook www.facebook.com/dontletgocanada and our website www.dontletgocanada.ca - send a note to your MP asking for them to help fund a space strategy. Check us out on Twitter too but since reddit is THE BEST we will keep coming around and checking in. Happy Upvoting! DLGCanada