We are experts of the European Space Agency ESA working on Near Earth Objects such as asteroids, their detection and deflection and the respective activities like ESA’s proposed Asteroid Impact Mission (AIM) – ask us anything!
Our short bio:
Hey Redditors, it’s Asteroid Day and we are looking forward to your questions!
- Dario Izzo (DI), Advanced Concepts Team, ESA ESTEC
- Clemens Rumpf (CR), Advanced Concepts Team, ESA ESTEC
- Michael Khan (MK), Mission Analyst, ESA ESOC
- Vasco Pesquita (VP), Systems and Concurrent Engineering Section, ESA ESTEC
- Borja Garcia Gutierrez (BGG), System Simulation Engineer, ESA ESTEC
- Paolo Concari (PC), Communication Systems Engineer, ESA ESTEC
- Christopher Buck (CB), Radar engineer, ESA ESTEC
- Clemens Heese (CH), Laser engineer, ESA ESTEC
- Ninja Menning (NM), Head of ESA ESTEC Communication Unit
- Sean Blair (SB), Senior Editor, Space Engineering and Technology, ESA ESTEC
- Maria Bennett, Chief Social Media Publisher, ESA
- Marco Trovatello (MT), Cross-Media Coordinator, ESA HQ
Feel free to direct questions to specific people; answers will be signed with the corresponding initials.
The team will be here on 30 June, 16:45 CEST/14:45 GMT/10:45 EDT for about one and a half hours.
UPDATE +++ AMA COMPLETE: IT’S 18:30 CEST AND WE ARE LOGGING OFF. THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXCELLENT QUESTIONS! THE TEAM MIGHT HAVE TIME TOMORROW TO CHECK BACK ON ANY NEW QUESTIONS +++
About ESA and Asteroid Day
Asteroid Day is an annual global movement to increase public awareness of potential asteroid impacts with Earth, and the importance of guarding against them. It was co-founded in 2015 by Brian May, astrophysicist and lead guitarist for the rock band Queen, Apollo astronaut Rusty Schweickart, and German filmmaker Grig Richters. The Day is held on 30 June each year to mark Earth’s largest asteroid impact in recorded history, the Siberia Tunguska event, which devastated over 2000 sq km, the equivalent area of a major metropolitan city.