We're the tools engineers behind Blizzard's Heroes of the Storm and StarCraft II, AUAA
EDIT 4PM PDT - Our AMA has completed. Thank you so much to all of you who asked us questions! If you are at all interested in applying for an engineering position on our tools team, please do check out the jobs here. Also feel free to reach out directly to our recruiter, Mike Nassar, at [email protected]. (As an FYI - we will most likely not be checking the inbox of this reddit account, so please do direct your contact to Mike above!)
We’re Paulo, Yuval, Jonny, Brenden, and Brett, and we’re the software engineers who make up the StarCraft and Heroes of the Storm Tools team at Blizzard Entertainment. We’re here today:
- To answer your questions about the tools and technologies we use.
- To answer your questions about what it’s like to be a software engineer at Blizzard.
- To spread the word about open positions on our team.
Everything you see in both StarCraft II and Heroes of the Storm has passed through our code. Here’s a taste of some of the things we work on:
- Editor - all the content of WarCraft III, StarCraft II and Heroes was made with this tool
- Map Editor - used to build the levels
- Cinematic Cutscene Editor
- Data Editor - it controls much more than the fireball damage
- Trigger Editor - lets designers directly create the gameplay
- Automation systems that control our build cluster to build and test a few million lines of code 20 times a day
- Art tools used to make the art and eventually export into the game
- Localization pipeline to author and maintain 13 distinct locales of text, audio, video and images
- Content Delivery
Every day we have programmers, artists, producers and designers walk in to our room with their problems and our number one priority is helping them make the greatest games in the world.
What we use to make them:
- Microsoft Visual Studio
- 3D Studio MAX
We’ll be here for the next three hours, ask us almost anything!