We are two people who work in professional 3D printing. We will make the top 3 upvoted ideas real. AMA
We are two people who work with 3D printing. We figured we'd challenge Reddit to give us some ideas for what to make and will design the top 3 upvoted ideas as real products. We are Nimloth (Product Manager) and Kspaho (3D Print Designer) and will be here for a few hours.
You can find examples of our existing internet inspired work in our Shapeways Shop here: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/theinternets
The rules are simple: Post pictures, drawings, sketches, or very clear explanations and links to examples of what you suggest making. The top upvoted ones win, and we will make 3D prints available online when done modeling.
Note: Penis design requests or copyright infringements are likely not going to be printed ;)
Ask us anything!
Chris & Kostika
EDIT: Remember to upvote the top suggestions : }
Edit 2: Ok, we're done answering questions for today. We will be looking at which posts were upvoted the most tomorrow and get to work. We'll post the winning entries shortly after that :)
Thanks all for having us!
- Chris & Kostika
Edit3: 01-04-14, 4:40pm
We wanted to check in and let you know which ideas were to voted as of midnight yesterday.
As of midnight EDT last night, here were the top rated ideas:
- A functional mini desktop catapult to fling things at coworkers. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ubor4/we_are_two_people_who_work_in_professional_3d/cegfmq4
- Beyonce: http://i.stack.imgur.com/H5ciD.png - http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ubor4/we_are_two_people_who_work_in_professional_3d/ceggfee
- A half-triceritops, half-ostrich figurine wearing a tie, checking its watch and carrying a briefcase. http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ubor4/we_are_two_people_who_work_in_professional_3d/cegg3my
Now, during the night, it's become apparent that certain factions on Reddit wanted to troll us into making the Mechanical Calculator (they were kind enough to even flat out admit this in the comments) as that is now somehow the most up-voted entry at this time: http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1ubor4/we_are_two_people_who_work_in_professional_3d/ceglyjb
Well, at first we were like: http://www.lehwego.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/challenge_considered.png
Then we were like: http://fatguywithglasses.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/challenge_accepted.png
However; here is how we are going to handle it.
First, we will make the top 3 ideas that legitimately were on top when the day changed.
Then, once those are made, having had a brief chat with Kostika, we will take an attempt at making the Curta Mechanical Calculator after that. Now there are a few caveats to this;
1) We are not entirely sure how long it will take to make the calculator. Those interested in following that progress can PM me, or "kspaho", over the next few weeks.
2) Depending on what the size is, and therefrom the associated prototyping costs, this might be a product that gets pretty expensive -- even to test print. Please do note that this is not a "contest" organized by a company, but rather something us two guys did for fun, and resources are available to us accordingly. If it gets too expensive, then we won't personally test if it works, and said Redditors who wanted it designed will have to chip in if they want a prototype made ;)
3) Thanks for all the fun Reddit!
We have posted the first (the desktop catapult) in this follow-up thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/20bw66/we_are_two_people_who_work_in_professional_3d/