We are the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), a non-profit organization studying therapeutic applications for psychedelics and marijuana. Ask us anything!
We are the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS), and we are back for our fifth AMA! MAPS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit research and educational organization founded in 1986 that develops medical, legal, and cultural contexts for people to benefit from the careful uses of psychedelics and marijuana. We envision a world where psychedelics and marijuana are safely and legally available for beneficial uses, and where research is governed by rigorous scientific evaluation of their risks and benefits.
Last week, we were honored to see our psychedelic research reach the top post on Reddit’s front page when we shared Nature Medicine’s publication of peer-reviewed results from our first Phase 3 clinical trial of MDMA-assisted therapy for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Among the participants in the MDMA-assisted therapy group, 67% no longer qualified for a PTSD diagnosis after three MDMA-assisted therapy sessions and 88% of participants experienced a clinically significant reduction in symptoms.
A second Phase 3 clinical trial is currently enrolling participants. Prior to the hopeful approval in 2023 of MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD, the FDA has granted permission for an expanded access program in which 50 patients can receive the treatment prior to FDA approval. MAPS plans to conduct additional studies to explore the potential of the treatment for other mental health conditions and with other treatment protocols such as group therapy and cognitive-behavioral conjoint therapy for couples. Additionally, MAPS is funding a formal commitment to health equity: a holistic plan to create more pathways to access MDMA-assisted therapy for those historically marginalized by the mental health field and society at large.
In addition to our MDMA research, we have completed research involving LSD, ayahuasca, ibogaine, and medical marijuana.
Some of the topics we're passionate about include;
- Research into the therapeutic potential of MDMA, LSD, psilocybin, ayahuasca, ibogaine, and marijuana
- Integrating psychedelics and marijuana into science, medicine, therapy, culture, spirituality, and policy
- Providing harm reduction and education services at large-scale events to help reduce the risks associated with the non-medical use of various drugs
- Ways to communicate with friends, family, and the public about the risks and benefits of psychedelics and marijuana
- Our vision for a post-prohibition world
- Developing psychedelics and marijuana into prescription treatments through FDA-regulated clinical research
Ask us anything!