IamA 96 year WW2 veteran, architect, and engineer. Still going strong and have my wits about me! Ask me anything!
Hi Reddit! I’m a 96 year old veteran of WW2, architect, engineer, father, grandfather, and great-grandfather. A few bullet points of my life and career:
- served on the USS Raymond as lead fire control man and fought in many significant battles in the Pacific theater, namely the Battle of Leyte Gulf.
- Graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with BS in Architectural Engineering
- A few years after starting my own architecture firm in Vincennes, Indiana I accepted positions working in Saudi Arabia for construction of a college and hospital
- Later worked with the Iranian Navy building 4 navy bases on the Caspian Sea
- Escaped Iran just as the revolution to overthrow the Shah was beginning
- Worked with the Libyan government to build New Brega
- While working for Marriott in the US significant projects include Marriott World Center in Orlando, Marriott Times Square, and began Marriott’s program into building Life Care Communities
- Shortly after retirement, joined the State of Baltimore construction team and headed the international competition to choose the sculptor of the Thurgood Marshall monument placed on capitol grounds.
- Enjoy driving my 6th Corvette after I got hooked on them with my first split-window Stingray back in 1963.
My name is Vern Kimmell. Ask me anything!
My 27 year old grandson is here transcribing my answers. Proof.