Scales haven't changed much for decades. Exactly two years ago, we quit our jobs and moved to Silicon Valley to build a crazy 3D scanning scale. This month we finally launched. We are the ShapeScale founders. AMA
Hey Reddit, glad to be on here! We'll try and stick around for the entire day to answer everyone's questions! 🙂
Our short bio:
We are two co-founders, Alex and Martin.
- We have several years of experience in engineering, product development and distribution.
- Both of us are serial entrepreneurs and we have worked for several years in product development and manufacturing in Hong Kong and China's Pearl River Delta where most consumer electronics of the world are being made these days.
- In early 2015 we started to work on coming up with a better fitness tracking concept that would actually tells you what has changed over time. Where exactly you'd lose fat and gain muscle. The concept of ShapeScale was born.
- A little over two years ago we were invited to come to the Silicon Valley by the famous technology accelerator, Y Combinator. We didn't hesitate twice and quit our day jobs to make ShapeScale really happen.
- Since then we have gone through several iterations and tests until this month during which we finally opened ShapeScale for pre-order. We also lost over 20 pounds of body fat in the process yet gained nearly 30 pounds in muscle. 😉
ShapeScale, is the first-ever 3D scanning body scale that creates a completely photorealistic and 1:1 accurate 3D avatar of yourself. Our app then provides you with most comprehensive body composition data such as weight, height, localized body fat and volume as well as all your girth measures.
It's been a whacky idea in the beginning, and a lot of investors turned us down for being crazy. Yet, here we are to prove everyone wrong. We believe 10 years down the road, scales will have changed as we know it.
We will use scales not just for our health and fitness, but also to enable other applications around our body such as virtual fitting rooms to preview how clothes will look and fit on our own body.
Ask us anything!~ 👍
Edit: Forgot to add our website. It's ➡ https://shapescale.com ⬅
Edit 2: It's half-time for us. We are taking a small lunch break. But will be back soon to answer your questions.
Edit 3: Alright we are back! Still taking questions until 5pm Pacific Time today!
Edit 4: We are extending by another hour to 6PM. Thanks for all the questions folks. It's exciting to get such a HUGE response from everyone! http://imgur.com/a/mitbv
Edit 5: And that concludes our AMA! Thanks /r/IAmA, it's been a lot of fun! We enjoyed being here and joining the discussion with all of you!!
You can still engage with us on social media of course!