What is TPP and Fast Track and what can we do to stop them? We are EFF, Sierra Club, AFL-CIO, and Public Citizen—ask us anything!
The Trans-Pacific Partnership, or TPP, is a massive trade agreement that's being negotiated in secret by 12 countries across the Pacific. It has 29 chapters covering all kinds of regulations, and we only know what's in it based on outdated leaks and misleading government statements. But based upon what has been revealed, we know that there are serious threats to the environment, public health, the free and open Internet, financial regulation, middle-class wages, workplace rights, and to democracy itself.
Now, hundreds of organizations across the United States are fighting a bill called Fast Track (officially the Bipartisan Congressional Trade Priorities and Accountability Act of 2015). If this legislation passes, lawmakers would shirk their constitutional authority over trade policy, letting the White House and the U.S. Trade Representative write binding TPP rules in secretive, corporate dominated meetings. If this passes, the president would be empowered to sign the TPP before lawmakers got a vote. Congress then would only have a small window of time to conduct hearings over the done deal and give a yea-or-nay vote, without any ability to amend the TPP before binding the United States to its broad terms.
So we're a diverse group of public interest organizations here today to answer your questions about everything TPP—the secretive negotiating process, our analysis of the provisions, and how the leaked chapters show that this agreement is a wish list for big corporations but a threat to nearly everyone else.
We're here to share what we know about this agreement so you can help us stop it.
- Threats to users and Internet freedom
- Threats to public health
- Threats to jobs, middle-class wages, financial regulations and consumer protections
- Threats to environment
Those of us answering questions today:
- Ben Beachy - bbeachygtw (Public Citizen, Global Trade Watch)
- Burcu Kilic - Burcuno (Public Citizen, Global Access to Medicines)
- Ilana Solomon - Sierra_Club (Sierra Club)
- Maira Sutton - MairaEFF (EFF)
- Steven Knievel - citizen_steve (Public Citizen, Global Access to Medicines)
- Celeste Drake - cdrakefairtrade (AFL-CIO)
- Stop Fast Track
- EFF's Fast-Track Action
- Public Citizen’s Fast Track Action
- Sierra Club's Fast Track Action
- Tweet at Key Lawmakers
- EFF's tweet: https://twitter.com/EFF/status/592755125044846592
UPDATE: That's it for us! Thanks so much for all of your questions and make sure to spread the word about Fast Track and the TPP, and how these secret trade deals threaten so many aspects of our lives. You can find all of our resources and action tools up there in the description text. Take care. :)