xewillseeyounow1 karma2018-12-11 16:36:32 UTC
Any tips for a nonbinary health care professional who is still in the closet? I'd love to be addressed with the correct pronouns and not be misgendered, but I fear that's not an option because it would distract patients/staff, and the clinical encounter is about them and not me. But maybe your staff already have some experience with this...
While on this subject - tips on how to address gender with patients would be greatly appreciated. Most people look at me confusedly when I ask what gender they identify as (I'm in internal medicine, our EHR only has the options male/female). Given that over 10% of the population self-reports as being trans, I'd rather not just assume, but it seems that the subject is so political that the other 90% feels weirded out by it...
And I was wondering why you seem to consider nonbinary as being 'in between' as I can gather from your posts in this AMA - the whole point is that we fall outside the binary of man/woman... :)
View HistoryShare Link
Copyright © 2014 BestofAMA.com, All rights reserved.
reddit has not approved or endorsed BestofAMA, reddit design elements are trademarks of reddit inc.