Highest Rated Comments

lawyerforconsumers1136 karma

I suggest sending the doctor's office a dispute and validation letter with a cease and desist to prevent them from contacting you about this alleged debt. If a debt collector still contacts you after you've sent them a cease & desist, it is a violation of the FDCPA.

lawyerforconsumers484 karma

Send a letter using the words cease and desist - feel free to contact us for a follow-up if that doesn't work.

lawyerforconsumers253 karma

You have to send them written notice to cease calling you as the number has changed. If they continue to call you thereafter, it could be a violation of the FDCPA.

lawyerforconsumers238 karma

You can pay debt collectors but you should only pay once you've received written proof of the debt, a written offer of settlement, and request a paid-off letter from the debt collector.

Always request validation from a debt collector prior to making payment as well.

lawyerforconsumers237 karma

It depends on who had the student loan, whether the federal government had it or a private company. If it was a federal loan, you may be able to rehabilitate the loan to get on Income-Based Repayment (IBR).

If it's a private student loan, you'll be able to work out a payment arrangement with them.

Your situation does sound a bit sketchy though, you'll want to consult with a consumer law attorney in your area.