emazur131 karma2010-12-27 21:12:13 UTC
Mike, as a libertarian I appreciate your views on the 2 parties, Wall St., the Fed, Ron Paul, and IRS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5oKq0AczAU
1) You advocate direct democracy to some degree - how is direct democracy any different from the tyranny of the majority? I want neither a dictator nor 51% of the population to rule over me, and I am reminded of a quote from de Tocqueville: "The omnipotence of the majority appears to me such a great peril for the American republics that the dangerous means used to limit it seem to me even a good"
2) How has your experience been in the Libertarian Party? Have you still been active in it since the 2008 election ended? If you run again in 2012, will you opt for Democrat or Libertarian?
View HistoryShare Link
emazur114 karma2013-01-13 22:48:00 UTC
How in the world do you think the Win 8 start screen is more productive than the start menu? On start menu, you simply click start then programs and select what you want to run from a tidy list. With Win 8, I have to move my cursor to the bottom left and click a hidden menu, be transported to a completely different interface, right click on an empty space, move my mouse to the bottom right and click a button, be transported to yet another screen that is way oversized so that I have to scroll to find what I want, which is much more difficult now b/c there's so much clutter b/c EVERY item from the programs folders subfolders is displayed. So how exactly is that more productive?
Usually at this point, someone tells me "Why don't you just pin your programs to the taskbar?" or "Why don't you just type the program name into search?". Well I don't like a cluttered taskbar - 4 items is about my limit. For frequently used programs I use desktop shortcuts instead (but hey, maybe the next version of Win 8 will eliminate that option as well). As for not wanting to type the name of the program in search, 1) I prefer to be able to do everything with a mouse (or wireless trackball when I'm away from the keyboard) 2) I don't always KNOW what I want to launch - it's nice to be able to browse through a tidy list and say to myself - "hmm, I haven't run that in a while" or "I had forgotten that I even installed that. I should run it". When I go to a Redbox, isn't it better that I can browse the movies instead of being forced to know exactly what I want to rent in order to type it in? 3) Just like being forced to use 1 program at a time is deevolution, so too is having to type in a program name in order to run it. Win 8 is like DOS on steroids.
And as long as I'm here complaining, here's a couple more for you:
A) the Win 8 compatibility checker failed to tell me that I my Texas Instruments pcixx12 SD card reader or my 56K faxmodem wouldn't work.
B) Tried downloading my first Win 8 app: Pinball Fx2. Did not go well:
1) go to MS store, look at free apps
2) find pinball game & installed
3) need password for MS account to download. Apparently I forgot, so had to reset pw
4) click the link in reset email & entered new password. Told me I can't use this new password b/c it was the same as my old password (the same one I repeatedly tried to enter in step 3. Why didn't it work then?)
5) went back to store, entered password to download game
6) after installing, went to see if it was under the "Games" tile in Win 8 Start screen. It wasn't
7) Scrolled to the far right and found Pinball FX2 tile and clicked
8) Go to game start screen, am told I need to first sign in and accept new terms of agreement for xbox live (I haven't used Xbox Live ~ GFWL, which I'm not sure if they're the same thing since I have no Xbox 360, in several months).
9) exited app, went back to Games tile on Start screen, signed in and accepted TOA
10) Went back to game. Am told I need to sign in so I do
11) Select pinball table to play
12) Black flashing screen with pause/play buttons sort of visible on top
13) Figured my 2007 laptop isn't up to task, so uninstalled
14) Go back to Store to see if sys reqs were listed. They weren't as far as I could tell
15) There is a "Play" button under Pinball FX2 in the store, making me wonder if it actually uninstalled
16) I looked at another game in the store I never installed and it also has a "Play" button instead of "Install" button, so I assume that is normal behavior
17) Wondered why it has to be such as hassle just to play a simple game of pinball
emazur46 karma2019-09-18 23:28:35 UTC
How was the money in sitcom writing and how did you get into it in the first place?
emazur40 karma2019-09-28 16:45:07 UTC
Any tips on meeting women that are fit or at least not fat? It's REALLY bad out there
If anyone reading thinks this is superficial, know that you too have a breaking point when it comes to weight. 250 pounds? 300 pounds? 500 pounds? At some point you will say no. Weight is just one aspect of health maintenance - people who don't brush their teeth, don't bathe, or have lice in their hair are all off the table too. All of these are and should be corrected.
emazur10 karma2013-01-22 05:56:18 UTC
Libertarian you say? Did you vote Ron Paul in the GOP primary and Gary Johnson in the general election? If not, why not? What about Libertarian Party candidates in your local election?
Copyright © 2014 BestofAMA.com, All rights reserved.
reddit has not approved or endorsed BestofAMA, reddit design elements are trademarks of reddit inc.