We are the creators of Betwixt — an interactive novel that helps you unlock your creativity and make sense of yourself. Ask us anything!
Over the past two years, we’ve been combining psychology, fantasy and play with one simple goal: to make mental resilience epic.
Taking guidance from psychiatrists Dr Sachin Shah and Dr Stephen Kaar, we’ve recently launched Betwixt — a multi-sensory choose-your-own-adventure story that our testers compare to Myst, Skyrim, Riven and Lord of the Rings.
In Betwixt, you play as a lone figure trapped in a strange, magical world that responds to your emotions and makes real what you think. Along the way, you meet a mysterious guide known as "the voice" who helps you wrestle negative thoughts and feelings, and master the psychological superpower of self-awareness.
After a great response from early testers, Betwixt has finally launched on the AppStore and will be showcased at CHI, the leading international conference on Human-Computer Interaction.
We're here to answer your questions about:
- the role of narrative and (game) play in personal change;
- fantasy writing and interactive fiction;
- targeted journaling;
- the game mechanics and/or psychological mechanisms in Betwixt.
Here are three of us today:
Elitsa Dermendzhiyska (u/Ellie_D; she/her): I left my cushy job in 2016 to research mental health. After many interviews and research reviews, I became convinced that games have the potential to be a great wellbeing tool.
Natalia Theodoridou (u/n_theodor; /he/him or they/them): I am a fiction author (World Fantasy Award winner) and game designer (Nebula Award finalist). I’m writing the Betwixt narrative.
Hazel Gale (u/HazelGale; she/her): I am an author, ex-athlete turned cognitive hypnotherapist and lifelong game lover.
INFO AND LINKS:
- Download Betwixt on the AppStore (iOS): https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/betwixt-the-story-of-you/id1540472983
Android users, we haven’t been able to build across both platforms just yet, but we will! Sign up to get notified about future releases on our site: https://www.betwixt.life
- Tell us your thoughts: When you play Betwixt, we really want to hear your feedback. We don’t have that much money, but because we know this takes time and effort, we’d like to give $50 to the three best (i.e. most useful, interesting or creative) pieces of feedback we receive. You’ll find links to send feedback on the Home and Profile pages in the app. Thank you, and we can’t wait to hear what you have to say!
Thank you everyone for stopping by. It has been a lovely time! We'll step away for a few hours now but will check back soon, so if you want to ask us something in the meantime, feel free to!