I attended the concert where Dimebag Darrell was shot, back in 2004. Ask me anything
Ticket stub proof I had recently graduated from Ohio State and had been living in Dublin Ohio. My roommate at the time visited the concert together at the Alrosa Villa. Ask me anything
Also, here are responses to the request thread:
1) Before the shooting, was there any suspicious activity that made you think something was wrong?
No, not at all. The Alrosa villa is a small dark club. At the show, it was filled with your usual heavy-metal fans and the occasional creepy bastard with face paint or some shit, but nothing that made you think something would go wrong.
2) What was your immediate thought after seeing Dimebag be shot?
Honestly, after seeing the mass hysteria and blood streaming down one guy's shirt, I was wise enough to bounce the hell out of there before seeing the details of what exactly happened.
3) Has your opinion on that genre of music or live music at all?
Not really, I still enjoy hard music. You have some rough-looking people who attend these shows, but I still know that Nathan Gale had serious mental problems, so was an outlier. So it didn't change my opinion of the genre.
4) Do you still listen to Pantera/Damageplan?
Actually yeah, I still work out to Damageplan on occasion. I prefer the more melodic metal and kind that goes soft- to loud and back.
5) With more shootings and terror attacks at concerts in recent years, what do you think could be done to prevent this from happening again?
In hindsight, Alrosa had very little security as far as frisking people to check for weapons. And it doesn't look like their security was even armed at all. So I think it would be fairly easy to use metal detectors and/or stop and frisk people as a standard when people enter with their ticket. This definitely wasn't like the Boston Marathon bombing, where securing the area from threat is next to impossible out on public streets.