We are Dr Katherine Collett and Brian O'Callaghan and climate researchers from Oxford University focusing on tackling the final 25% of Greenhouse Gas Emissions. Ask us anything!
Hi, we're Dr Katherine Collett and Brian O'Callaghan, climate researchers from Oxford University focusing on tackling the final 25% of Greenhouse Gas Emissions.
Here's our proof: https://twitter.com/UniofOxford/status/1423266840650866688
UPDATE: We will be back to answer more questions tomorrow, so be sure to leave them below!
CO2 targets such as electricity, transport and heating, account for a massive 80% of greenhouse gas emissions and are rightly at the forefront of the battle to achieve Net Zero. But that leaves a hard-to-reach 20% - and a further 5% is essential to achieve net negative CO2. Together, this is known as the ‘Final 25%’ and Net Zero cannot be achieved without tackling this hard-to-reach wedge.
The hard-to-reach 20% of emissions come from agriculture, plastics, cement, and waste.
Made up of a range of greenhouse gas emitters, which are harder to spot than pollution-belching- carbon-burning power stations, these emissions cannot be overcome by flipping a switch or buying a new car. But, combined, they account for one-in-four tonnes of greenhouse gases.
Possible interventions and ways to achieve net zero, include:
· Accelerating alternative proteins including cultured meat, plant-based meat, insects, and microalgae.
· Considering semi-desert and challenging land for growing plant feedstocks and for greenhouse gas removal.
· Investing in using CO2 or plants as input materials to make plastics without oil.
You can read the full reports via the links below - and we'd be happy to answer any questions on this topic now!
Find out more about our work at True Planet
Ask us anything!
Dr Katherine Collett: Katherine is a Senior Postdoctoral Researcher in the Energy and Power Group at the Engineering Department and a Fellow of the Oxford Martin Programme on Integrating Renewable Energy. She has explored the role of nature-based greenhouse gas removal, sustainable carbon feedstocks for products, alternative proteins for consumption, and green hydrogen production.
Brian O'Callaghan: Brian is Lead Researcher and Project Manager of the Economic Recovery Project. He is an Australian Rhodes Scholar and Consultant at the Robertson Foundation, covering topics in Energy and the Environment. He is also a consultant to government and business groups on issues relating to the energy and climate transitions.