I am a traveller who has stayed in many hostels over the past 15 years and founded the world's largest hostel information website. AMA about hostels and travel!
I've been travelling on a regular basis for 15 years, mostly to Europe, but other countries as well. And I still stay in hostels as my preferred type of accommodation. I've been quoted in the New York Times, Washington Post, Kiplinger, Consumer Reports, and other publications as a source of information about hostels.
I'm the founder of the hostel information website Hostelz.com. It's the only website that tries to list information on all hostels worldwide (including direct contact info) and features a price comparison of all the major hostel booking websites, a combined rating score, and reviewer photos and reviews to show you what the hostels really look like.
You can ask me general questions about hostels and travel, but I can also run calculations from our data on Hostelz.com. So you can ask me things like...
- What month are hostels cheapest in Paris?
- What country has the highest ratio of girls to guys staying in the hostels?
- What's the highest rated hostel in Italy? What's the worst rated?
- What country has the cheapest hostels?
- What percent of hostels are listed on Hostelworld?
- What percent of hostel bookings are for a solo traveler?
- What percent of hostels in Spain allow pets?
- What's the dirtiest hostel in Europe (lowest cleanliness rating)?
- What percent of hostels require you to bring your own sheets?
- What country has the most hostels?
- Why is there always a group of Australian guys in my dorm room at every hostel who want me to go party with them? (j/k, no one knows the answer to that one)
By the way, this IAmA was partly inspired by Dan's IAmA about hostels last year, so I want to give him credit for that. Check out his post and great answers as well.