IamA 63 % burn victim (third degree, except luckily my face is second degree - it will heal.) AMA!
My short bio: Enter stuff here
Hi, in the night of august third I was in my toolshop to repair an old mercedes station wagon. Well, I was emptiieng the gasoline in a container standing on the floor of our repair pit.
The repair pit is rughly 1,60 meter deep and kinda narrow. It is more like a little cellar room. After I was done setting up the container, I climbed out and did stuff on the work bench, i listened to iron maiden, judas priest and some megadeth and drank trusty german beer.
When I was done with that for the night, I put out the lights in the toolshop, lastly the handlight in the pit. It had a cable which went into a wall plug thingy, and I simply pulled out the cable.
big mistake. A spark ignited the gasonline fumes, which had spread out in the whole building. I even smelled the whole shebang, but my mind was elsewhere, I simply didnt bother.
Well. A very cute little tornado of flames formed, but very quickly the tornado grew and engulfed me with a sound I will never forget: it was the sound of the biggest match igniting, combined with a very loud sound like wet clothes ripping.
I panicked and knew I was in BIG trouble, and that I did a huge mistake.
I was wading breathlessly through that ball of fire and managed, with iron will, to reach the stairs of the pit. I even had to wriggle out of it, because I Parked the car halfway ofer the staircase. My mind was racing, scanning through my options. I was in panic, and while I was climbing the stairs, My arms reached out to find another human- panic did that. My voice whincing and whining, I begged for help-.
Standing next to the car, A part of my brain noticed that my t-shirt was burning. I grabbed for it to pull it over my head, but i only found my burning skin. I was in flames. I wondered ewhy it was so light in the garage, had I put out all the lights before. But it was so light because the whole interior of the building was already beginning with catching fire. I ran for the door, kicked it open, and ran 150 meters for the garden pond and threw myself in it.
I turned and watched lights flickering in the trees, and I heard the sound of burning.
I'll write the rest of the story when I get responses.
second part of story:
I stayed in the pond for 30 seconds. Than i ran for the window of my uncles room, and banged my fists on his window to wake him up. I screamed "fire! FIRE!". than I ran to my neighbours, which were alredy standing outside. they saw a black figure wit completely torn trousers and combat boots, upper body naked and black like coals, face totally wrecked.
I told them: "YOU ARE GETTING ME AN AMBULANCE, AND YOU ARE PHONING THE FIREFIGHTERS, ASAP!"
than I ran of to the burning gagare. Outside, a friend already tried to splash the already incredibly high flames with a Fire extinguisher. It was very, very hot. but still, in my wanting to undo of me setting fire, I went inside the garage and reached for a hose. I attached it to an outlet. I tried to put out the flames in the repair pit,but it was no use. it was at most 3 or 4 minutes after the accident. it was there and then where I lost the abbility to strech 4 of my ten fingers; i went to far into the heat. now I have hands like a which.
My friend screamed at me to stop it and take a break. I calmy said, dreamlike:" allright, I'll go into the pond again.", which I promptly did.
I said in the pond and watched the flames in silent guilt and regret and horror. I knew I was in deep trouble. I heard loud explosions from spray cans and the like. I had stored parts and fluids and tools for a couple of grands in the garage.
I heard sirens and screams from the arriving firefighters and neighbours; they tried to find me in the dark. I began to get very cold in the water, and I told them where I was in the dark, and they fetched me a blanked and i got out to go to the ambulance. I lied down on the stretcher, and answered questions and stuff, police and firefighters came to make sure i was the only one in the garage.
I began to shiver hard, violently. I bounced up and down like a jackhammer, andt tried to stop that, but couldnt.
I told my friend that i just realized that I was severly wounded, and not just a little like I thought before. I told him ten times and more not to worry, I would make it through the night.
then I count from one to 50, repeatedly, to keep me sane and ahed of the surging shock. then they put me to sleep. my coma began.
I survived only and by the skin of my theeth because I am mentally strong, didnt drink (just beer, thats not considered drinking in germany), didnt smoke and was working as a construction worker- strong body.
my body temperature was 33 degrees celcius when I was arriving in the shock room of my hospital.
but i made it, like I told my friend!
THANKS FOR ALL THE LOVING AND CARING RESPONSES! it really helps me a lot. thank you , reddit.
yes, i am german, and my genitals are totally unscathed by the haunting accident. the building is being paid and repaired, insurance covered it. about 20 fire cars were involved with about a 100 firefighters. normally you get airlifted to the hospital, but the heli wasnt available.
my dick is still there :-)
pictures of today, friday fourth of december
this one is showing wounds were they took the skin off Imgur
pictures of how I looked before the accident: