We are EFF, Creative Commons, Right to Research Coalition, Open Access Button, and Fundación Karisma, and We’re Here to Answer Your Questions About Open Access. AUA!
We use research everyday to create scientific and medical advances, understand culture, and fuel the economy, but articles can cost $30 or more each to read—even though much of the research is funded by the public in the first place. The alternative to this is open access, academic publishing which allows free, immediate, online access to peer-reviewed research with full rights to reuse the work.
This week is International Open Access Week, and we invite you to join us in celebrating all things open access!
Those of us answering questions today:
- Adi Kamdar - /u/adiEFF (EFF)
- Maira Sutton - /u/mairaEFF (EFF)
- Nick Shockey - /u/SPARCnick (Right to Research Coalition)
- Joe McArthur - /u/JoeR2RC (Open Access Button/Right to Research Coalition)
- David Carroll - /u/DavidOpenAccess (Open Access Button)
- Timothy Vollmer - /u/tvol_cc (Creative Commons)
- Carolina Botero - /u/caroboteroKARISMA (Fundación Karisma)